The warm weather has finally arrived, and your lawn grass is growing quickly. To get your warm season grasses, such as Bermuda, centipede and zoysia, looking their best, you need to fertilize your lawn right now.
Starting in April, our technicians began our second round of warm season fertilizing. We apply our second round of fertilization from April through June. We call the second round RD 3 and RD 4.
Our RD 3 treatment covers late spring, and RD 4 includes the first half of summer fertilization treatments. We use balanced fertilizers to promote healthy grass growth, and enable your lawn grass to maintain its color all summer long.
7 Fertilizing Facts for Your Warm Season Grasses
Warm season grasses have different nutrition needs compared to fescue, a cool season grass.
Since Bermuda, centipede and zoysia are growing quickly now, they need fertilizer that helps them stay green and vigorous through the hot summer months.
Here are those seven fertilizing facts:
- At Agropro, we base your lawn’s fertilizer needs on soil test results. We test your property’s soil to determine what it’s missing. From there, we develop a fertilizer plan for your warm season grasses to maintain optimum health throughout the entire summer.
- Residential turfgrass needs a balanced supply of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous. During the summer, we focus on nitrogen to give your warm season grass to stay healthy and green.
- In general, your lawn needs half a pound to one pound of nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. per month during the summer growing cycle.
- However, it’s important to remember that your lawn doesn’t need more nitrogen than what your soil needs. Otherwise, you’ll notice your lawn grass has growth spurge that leads to more mowing, water, thatch formation, and possibly opening up your lawn to fungal diseases and insects.
- To save your fertilizing dollars, consider grass-cycling. Grass-cycling happens when you allow the mowed grass clippings to stay on your yard. To avoid grass clumps, set your mower to the mulching position so your grass clippings are smaller and will dissolve quickly into the ground.
- Grass-cycling allows you to use up to 30% less nitrogen compared to putting your grass clippings in the trash.
- To get the best fertilization results, you need a professional lawn maintenance company to provide your lawn’s nutrition needs throughout the growing season. Your lawn care provider is trained in soil health, fertilization and best lawn practices.
How Agropro Helps You with Your Lawn’s Fertilizer Needs
- Aeration and overseeding
- Core aeration
- Disease control
- Fire ant control
- Flea and tick control
- Grub control
- Insect control
- Mosquito control
- Weed control.
We provide you with a customized lawn fertilization program that takes care of your unique turfgrass needs. You won’t get the professional customization by buying a bag of grass fertilizer at your local box store.
Call us today at 678-445-9990 or fill our contact form if you’re looking for a lawn maintenance company to take care of your fertilization and other lawn care needs this summer.
Waltz, Clint and Gil Landry, “A Turfgrass Management Calendar for Georgia.” University of Georgia: Georgia Turf.